Tuesday, June 14, 2011

'I want to be known as a legend'

Promising West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell has big ambitions and wants himself to be remembered as legend after retirement.

Russell, considered one of the upcoming talents in the West Indies, said he wants to seal a permanent place in the squad and contribute for the team.

"When I retire from international cricket, I want to be called a legend. I want to stay here and contribute as much as I can," Russell said.

"As a young man, trying to make a name for myself, I just want to continue to do well for West Indies and work hard on my game," said the 23-year-old, who has played just six ODIs since making his debut in March.

Batting at nine, Russell hit eight fours and five sixes en route to a 64-ball unbeaten 92 in the third ODI against India but his blazing knock went in vain as West Indies lost the match by three wickets to hand over the five-match series to the visitors.

"When I went in I was not nervous. I actually ran all the way to the crease. I was pumped up from the start, and I knew the team needed me in a big way. I knew I had enough time to get myself settled, build an innings and get a good score," Russell said.

"It was set-up for me. I was able to get my eye in and then play my natural game. I knew I had the power to clear the boundaries, so I knew once I got the start and batted till 45th over, I could get benefits in last five overs," he said.

Russell was all the more happy about the fact that his knock came against world champions India.

"What made this innings special for me was the fact that it was under great pressure, and it came against India. They are the world champions, and to get such a good score against them is a major boost," he said.

"As a cricketer, you always like to test against the best. The innings gave me a lot of confidence and self-belief, the only regret is we lost the match," Russell added.


Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.Powered by Disqus

No comments:

Post a Comment