Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tremlett hails Surrey move

England bowler Chris Tremlett believes he would still be in the international wilderness had he not swapped Hampshire for Surrey two years ago.

Tremlett won his first cap while at Hampshire in 2007 but his spell in the England side was shortlived as he struggled with both form and fitness.

However the 29-year-old reignited his career after making a move to Surrey in the summer of 2009.

Having taken almost 50 wickets in his first season at the Oval, Tremlett earned a place in the England squad for last year's successful Ashes defence.

And it was in Australia where Tremlett proved his Test credentials, taking 17 wickets to help England win their Ashes series Down Under since 1986.

Tremlett has carried on his excellent form and he will return to his former home at the Rose Bowl set to lead the England attack for this week's third npower Test against Sri Lanka.

"I needed a new focus that summer and coming to London was another new challenge for me," Tremlett said.

"I was at Hampshire for 10 years. I needed to move on, try something different and prove some people wrong and I felt that staying at Hampshire would have never given me a chance to get back into an England shirt.

"I had to move and start again. Thankfully I had the season I had and got selected."

Tremlett feels he is now the aggressive bowler that he always wanted to become image after having often been portrayed as a gentle giant during his time at Hampshire.

"People have talked about my body language and my aggression over the years. It's something I feel I have got right now," said Tremlett.

"I've become more competitive and more aggressive as I've got older. I feel more comfortable as well. I'm not just trying to be someone that I'm not. "

Tremlett is delighted that he is likely to be joined in the attack this week by James Anderson as England look to wrap up the series.

"Jimmy is probably the best swing bowler in the world so to have him back is a great bonus," Tremlett said.


Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.Powered by Disqus

No comments:

Post a Comment